The Community Foundation of North Central Massachusetts, a respected 501(C)3 nonprofit organization, is seeking to hire its first full-time President in Fitchburg. Please see www.cfncm.org for more information.
The Community Foundation of North Central Massachusetts was founded in 2001 out of a small but committed United Way of North Central Massachusetts committee with a passion to build a better community. North Central MA has proven to be a compassionate and caring community, and the Foundation has provided a way for individuals, families, businesses and agencies to establish permanent endowments to benefit the community forever.
The Foundation has built over $50 million in assets and has granted over $50 million in 33 communities. Our goal is to grow the endowment through donor contributions and enhance the General Fund that makes annual grants through a ‘request for proposal’ process to local nonprofits in the arts, environment, education and health. Other Funds include Critical Needs, Educational Access, and Environmental and Animal Welfare. The assets have come from people, regardless of their financial resources, who contribute to an endowment to benefit the communities and causes they care deeply about.
We seek to continue to increase our ability to respond to needs in the communities. The Richard W. Nobile Operational Fund was created by the Board of Trustees in 2017 to enhance the Foundation’s ability to fund its own expenses.
Since its inception, the Foundation has shared a President with the local United Way. In late 2018, in anticipation of the incumbent President’s upcoming retirement, the Boards of both organizations decided to seek separate full-time executives to lead each organization.
The ideal candidate will offer excellent leadership capabilities and be passionate about using the Foundation’s platform to permanently endow charitable gifts in order to increase and stabilize funding for community needs. S/he will steward existing donors and identify and implement new and innovative ways to raise funds and to attract financial support from higher net worth individuals.
Reporting to a strong, capable and dedicated 22-member Board of Trustees, the President will lead a staff currently comprised of 2 full-time and 3 part-time talented professionals and have responsibility for continuing the strong growth of the Foundation.
Roles and Responsibilities
Champion of the Foundation and builder of relationships
- Provide an influential and trusted presence in the Community, building strong relationships with key stakeholders across the region.
- Foster a common vision among volunteer leadership and human service providers
- Continue to enhance and expand the Foundation’s brand in the greater North Central Massachusetts community.
- Establish a strong and productive social media presence.
- In cooperation with the Board, develop and execute a challenging Strategic Plan.
- Expand the donor base and significantly grow the Foundation’s assets and grant making capacity.
Builder of community impact
- Following best practices, extend the reach of the Foundation’s grant making capabilities throughout the region in meaningful, impactful and measurable ways.
- Implement effective ways to report to the Board and the community on grant impact following best practices.
- Ensure that strong financial practices are maintained. Develop and propose a balanced annual operating budget.
- Working with the Finance Committee, ensure appropriate oversight of the Foundation’s asset managers.
- Further develop and effectively manage a high performing staff to help accelerate the growth of the Foundation.
- Work successfully with a strong and diverse board
- Guide the Board and key committees in policy formulation and interpretation.
- Communicate effectively and work in a collegial open manner with employees, donors, grant applicants and recipients, and others.
- Develop an effective and diverse network of volunteers to support the Foundation’s mission.
Skills and Experience Desired
- Increasingly significant responsibility in leading nonprofit organizations and working with volunteer boards
- Demonstrated experience and excellence in major gifts fundraising
- Significant experience in resource development, establishing donor gift agreements and stewarding supporters and donors
- Experience in grant making, establishing grant agreements and measuring grant effectiveness
- Ability to forge partnerships and alliances
- Knowledgeable in use of technology for operations and to maintain social media presence
- Financial management experience and acumen
- Unquestionable integrity and transparent honesty in all dealings
- Passionate commitment to the vision and goals of the Foundation
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
- Strategic thinking
- Highly empathetic
- Ability to work well with individuals and partner organizations
- Strong organizational skills
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Susan Egmont, Egmont Associates, at firstname.lastname@example.org