Direct Manager: Membership Manager Department: Membership
Job Category: Non-exempt, Permanent, Full-Time Location: Boylston, MA
Travel Required: Local, supporting operations Salary: $17-$19 per hour
Tower Hill Botanic Garden believes diversity in nature promotes a healthy, vigorous garden. We believe that diversity among our staff promotes a healthy work environment and a vigorous organization. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We believe in diversity of race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, ability, and all the other traits that make us unique. Tower Hill is an equal opportunity employer.
The Membership Coordinator coordinates the Society’s 8,000-Member household base, processing new and renewal memberships, and monitoring related benefits. They plan and oversee membership programs. With direction from the Membership Manager, the Coordinator develops membership materials, and implements strategies to recruit and retain members. They are responsible for database entry and management and email and mailed correspondence as required. The Membership Coordinator will be part of the Membership Team helping to generate creative and innovative ideas for the Membership Program. The Membership Coordinator is also a member of the Advancement Team.
- Process all new and renewal memberships, entering the information into customer relationship management (CRM) database. Prepare Membership-related batch deposit reports for the Finance Department. Process all necessary membership benefit information including the generation of membership cards.
- In coordination with the Membership Manager, generate monthly renewal notices including electronic and paper mailings.
- Assist with the planning of membership activities and events in coordination with the Membership Manager.
- With direction from the Membership Manager, create membership materials for distribution and monitor all supply inventory.
- Assist in the development of membership acquisition initiatives and strategies to recruit new members and maintain existing members. Growing membership is a responsibility shared with the Membership Manager.
- Process membership related event registrations in CRM.
- Maintain master registration lists for events.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Membership Manager and support a shared collaboration.
- Local work-related travel (i.e.Post Office) to support membership operations and Advancement Team.
- Support philanthropic engagement activities of the Advancement Department as needed.
Leadership and Interpersonal Relations
- Strong organizational, time management, oral, and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships and deal tactfully with members, volunteers, and staff.
- Ability to work with diverse groups and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
The Membership Coordinator’s position is hourly and non-exempt from overtime. The standard work schedule for this position is 40 hours per week. The typical schedule is 8:30-5 with an unpaid 30-minute lunch break. However, the Coordinator is expected to be flexible and able to work weekends and occasional evenings to support the work of the Membership Department. While the work is generally performed inside, the Membership Coordinator may be asked to assist with event management outside.
Education and Experience
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate well in person and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team.
- Working knowledge and experience with a CRM and 3-5 years non-profit experience, preferably in membership, highly desired.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree or relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and manage a budget.
- Should be competent with MS Office products (Word, Excel, and Power Point), particularly in utilizing mail merge functions.
- Should be comfortable learning online email software systems.
- Must be able to occasionally move items up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
- Must be able to frequently navigate uneven grounds and stairs.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be comfortable with local travel.
Note: These have been identified as essential functions as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.