Community Legal Aid, Inc. (CLA), the program providing free civil legal services to the low-income and elderly residents of central and western Massachusetts, seeks a Development Director who will have primary responsibility for planning and leading its resource development efforts in support of the its vision, mission and goals. CLA is a $9.5 million organization with approximately 100 staff across multiple offices.
The Development Director will be a member of CLA’s management team and will supervise an expanding development and grants department. S/he will oversee the program’s existing fundraising campaigns targeted at attorneys; develop and implement plans to raise funds from outside the legal profession; cultivate funding prospects including individual gifts and corporate and foundation support; design and implement special events; and develop a strategy for major gifts and planned giving. S/he will also oversee the activities of CLA’s grants department, which include identifying federal, state and local grants, writing grant proposals and reports, and developing marketing materials. The Development Director will make periodic reports to CLA’s Board of Directors and will work with the Board’s Development Subcommittee on refining short- and long-range development plans.
The Development Director will be based in one of CLA’s offices in Northampton, Springfield, or Worcester, with required weekly office time at CLA’s administrative headquarters in Worcester if not based there. Additional travel in central and western Mass. is required on occasion to meet with donor prospects, board members, and other stakeholders.
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree and at least five years significant resource development experience with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Demonstrated success in building and implementing comprehensive development programs, including cultivating and managing relationships with multiple donor sources.
- An understanding of prospect research and cultivation strategies, as well as experience with fundraising database systems (knowledge of Salesforce a plus).
- Candidate must be highly organized and have excellent oral and written communication skills, including versatility in communicating effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Excellent time management and follow-through; keeps commitments on a personal and overall project level.
- Familiarity with the mission and work of legal aid programs helpful.
Please submit a letter expressing your interest, a current resume, and a list of three references to Eileen Messier, Human Resources Manager, at email@example.com or to Community Legal Aid, 405 Main Street, Worcester, MA 01608. EOE.